A man accused of attacking the husband of U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has pleaded not guilty to federal charges of attempting to kidnap a federal official and assaulting the family of a federal official.
David DePape, who showed up in orange without handcuffs, was assigned a public defender who filed a petition on his behalf during a brief court appearance.
DePap, 42, who lives in the San Francisco suburb of Richmond, was indicted last week with federal charges stemming from Pelosis’ October 28 invasion of his San Francisco home, days before the midterm elections.
Debap, a radical activist bent on conspiracy theories, has also pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder, robbery, and elder abuse.
Federal charges include assaulting the next of kin of a U.S. public official with intent to retaliate against the U.S. public official for the performance of official duties.
This carries a sentence of up to 30 years in federal prison.
The second charge alleges that DePape attempted to kidnap a US official in the performance of official duties. The indictment alleges that DePappe intended to kidnap Nancy Pelosi.
According to the indictment, officers responding to Paul Pelosi’s 911 call found Paul Pelosi and DePape fighting over a hammer.
The officer ordered Depapu to drop the hammer, but he said, “Um, no,” and threw it at Paul Pelosi.
The sequence lasted about 15 seconds before Pelosi and DePappe lay on the floor with blood spurting around Paul Pelosi’s head. He was treated in hospital for a skull fracture.
Paul Pelosi told the 911 dispatcher that he was asleep when he entered the bedroom looking for Nancy Pelosi in Washington, D.C., when a man he had never seen entered the bedroom.
Officers later discovered a broken glass door to the back porch. They recovered a zip tie, a roll of tape, a white rope, a second hammer, and rubber and cloth gloves.
DePape is being held without bail in state custody.